Keeping the Sacred Flame

A place to discuss the religion and philosophy of the Sacred Flame, HeartShadow's personal religion. Also random other thoughts of HeartShadow's as she feels like posting them.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

The Virtues of Doubt

Doubt is often viewed as the opposite of faith, a problem in our lives or a moral failing. The pain of doubt causes us to try and avoid the question, cling to certainty, pretend we do not feel the questions we have. We go to great lengths to avoid being in a place where we can even hear the questions, fear being alone with our thoughts and nothing to block them.

There is no question about the discomfort of doubt. When we question, it can be difficult to find a point upon which we can stand, a place where doubt fades to certainty. It’s true that few people doubt the world of solid objects, that the sun will rise the next day and the chair they sit on will continue to exist if they stop thinking about it. But questions without concrete objects, questions of faith and virtue and wonder have no clear-cut answers no matter how strong one’s faith is. When doubt raises questions about those articles taken on faith, it can feel as though our very foundation is being attacked.

Doubt is the act of questioning, looking at our beliefs and thinking about what they mean, what they’re worth, whether they are still correct to us. The very fact that we are questioning our beliefs does not mean we do not still hold those beliefs or that our faith is in question, but that we are learning more about ourselves, and understanding more. Doubt is not the opposite of faith. It is instead an integral component of a mature faith. It is a form of spiritual exercise, like physical exercise in that is painful when performed, but has the long term virtues of greater physical health. Doubt cleans our minds, helps identify what is toxic in thought and what serves us no longer, and reaffirms those beliefs that are truly meaningful to us.

The pain of doubt is the pain of realizing that what we believe is uncertain. The morality of such doubt, of such uncertainty, is more difficult to articulate and frequently sneered at, particularly by those who are not brave enough to confront their own doubts. But beliefs unquestioned are not strong faith, but a weak faith that totters on a slender foundation. When questioning destroys faith, the faith was weak or nonexistent to begin with.

Doubt is not the opposite of faith, but the complement. Indifference is the opposite of faith, that uncaring avoidance of the entire faith question. Doubt is the questioning that keeps faith alive and enables one to explore and grow in that faith. To fear doubt is to fear faith itself, to be so convinced of the flimsiness of that faith that it will disintegrate when examined closely. Doubt is a blessing even as it is a curse, as it makes us what we are: Thinking animals that can determine for ourselves what we believe and why.

Questions:
What about doubt scares you the most?
How can you doubt and hold faith at the same time?
What aspect of your own faith are you most afraid to question and why? What do you think you may find behind it?
Personal thoughts

7 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Star said…

    I think I'm in an odd position here, because... Well, to me religious doubt is such a normal thing that I almost forget sometimes that people think it's a bad thing. This is one area where I feel that, intellectually at least, I think I've got it pretty well worked out. The big challenge is, of course, living up to my own ideals. ;) At any rate, I think what I'm trying to say here is that I'm afraid I don't have any useful feedback on this essay because my beliefs are so very close to yours... It's like reading something *I* might have written, you know?

    Questions, questions:

    1. What scares me the most, I think, is that the little voice saying, "What if it's all your imagination?" will be right. Which in turn scares me because... If it's right, and all this is just in my imagination, then I've been involved in an elaborate self-delusion and--well, it would all be sort of a big trip into crazyland, you know? Talking to bings that don't exist, and stuff like that. I think that's always the scariest thing about doubt--not that you're doubting in and of itself, but the possibility that the doubts might be correct. (Or sometimes the possibility that the doubts are wrong is pretty scary too... But not this time, I think.)

    2. This is going to sound like I just swiped it from the essay, but honestly, it's the conclusion I've come to as well. Doubt is not the opposite of faith. They are not mutually exclusive. Saying that you can't have both at the same time is something like saying that it's physically impossible to ride a bicycle while wearing a helmet.

    3. I think actually I kind of covered this in the first question. The aspect of my faith I'm most afraid to question... I'm most afraid to question whether it's real or all in my imagination. Because... Well, I haven't got any good solid proof one way or the other. I have my own experiences, but I have no way of knowing for sure that they are real and true, and not just delusion. And really this is where it comes down to just faith, and nothing else.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Vieva said…

    honestly, dear, I think you're a little TOO comfortable with doubt. it keeps you from having to lean in any direction too much. :)

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Star said…

    I'm not sure I'd say "comfortable"... I'm comfortable with the idea that it will be there, yes, but the doubt itself is never comfortable.

    Not understanding the part about not leaning, either... But then my brain may or may not be in good working order this afternoon, so that's probably not helping. :)

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Vieva said…

    I think it goes along with not dealing with the word "religion". As long as you're deeply in doubt, you don't have to make a decision, you don't have to formulate your ideas .. you don't have to find your way out of the fog.

    I think we need to accept that doubt is part of our lives .. but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to move past it as well. It seems like you've let doubt move in and take over the spare bedroom, not accepted that it hangs in the basement. Doubt is easier than coming to grips with things.

    or, y'know, my head's all stuffed up and I can't think straight either. :)

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Star said…

    Hm. I'll have to think on that one. I can't honestly immediately say, "No, that's not me at all"--but I can't honestly immediately say it is me either. This requires pondering. I'll add it to my list...

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Vieva said…

    I'll see if I can come up with a more coherent way to put this, as well .. the sinus thing may well be destroying my brain. :)

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Star said…

    No, I think I understood you. :) I just need to think a little more about the whole issue myself, is all.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home