Keeping the Sacred Flame

A place to discuss the religion and philosophy of the Sacred Flame, HeartShadow's personal religion. Also random other thoughts of HeartShadow's as she feels like posting them.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Dreams of Perfection and Ego

We all carry multiple selves with us. The Hero. The Lover. When we interact with other people, each person has a self that speaks, and hears, and obscures the truth behind idealizations. The Winner. The Loser. We all do this, to an extent, and we treasure those dreams of ourselves, both the good and the bad. The Pious. The Sinner. When we find ourselves without masks, without a role to play, we are often struck silent with fear or confusion. The Strong Man. The Hermit. Seeing a true picture of ourselves, or even a truer picture than previously seen, can be frightening in its intensity.

Yet we are shackled by our illusions. They hold us in ways that keep us from truly changing, truly becoming better. "I am the Hero, I don't need to worry about ethics, I can't help but do what's right." "I am the Powerless, everything happens around me. I have no control and do no harm, for I do nothing." The more we use these illusions in our lives, the more they become our lives, and the harder change becomes. People expect certain attitudes, certain behaviors, and we act the part we've given ourselves to keep the peace and keep ourselves from seeing dissonance in our lives.

As children, we learn certain feelings and actions are not acceptable. As we grow older, we incorporate both the spoken and unspoken norms of our society, holding to those beliefs and attitudes that cause us the least dissonance with ourselves. We find ways to make our actions fit our image of ourselves, no matter what the necessary justification to ourselves, and assume that other people see us as we see ourselves or as we desire ourselves to be seen. Even though the pieces don't always match, and the masks slip and stretch to cover us as we wish to be seen and not as how our actions brand us, we hold to the beliefs that we are what we wish to be and have no need to grow and change.

We cannot change our true self, and become better people, until we realize who we are and how other people see us. Yet we fear our true selves. They are vulnerable, the reason for the masks in the first place. We can never fit completely into the proper role our society sets for us, the role we feel we should play yet do not. Do not show fear, weakness, ignorance, or anything else that does not fit the role we are to play in society. Especially to ourselves, we cannot show our true nature, for that nature does not match the nature we wish it to be. Our true selves cannot help but be weak, cannot help but have fear, cannot help but be ignorant. Not always, of course, but no one knows everything, fears nothing, and is undefeatable. It simply does not exist. So we hide our weaknesses with masks and shields, lying even to ourselves that we do not fear, or believing that no one will notice our fears.

When we come to religion, to the Divine, we come with our masks, hoping to hide behind them, be accepted for them. But the Divine sees no masks, only the truth of each person. For many people, this is a terrifying experience, even as it is freeing. No masks, no illusions, no questions, just the real person standing there without covering before the Divine. And we find fear, both of ourselves and of the other, because we don't know how to live without our masks, and we don't know how to face the power of the Divine without the safety of our masks. All the thoughts of the masks, seeking to hide that which we dislike, pretend to be that which we are not, stills, and we find ourselves quiet, and alone with ourselves. There, quiet with ourselves, we find the Divine waiting for us to turn to It.

Until we face ourselves, and see ourselves without our masks, we cannot easily face the Divine, because what we see is our own masks looking back at us, coloring everything we learn.

Questions:
What are the masks you wear and why?
What dissonance do these masks cause in your life?
How do you drop your masks? How do you live without them?
Personal thoughts

3 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Star said…

    Ouch. I think that one hit home. I'm taking it better than I have been some things, though--either I'm getting used to this or I'm just at a high point in the emotional cycle today...

    I think I've read this one before, and asked whether masks ever have their uses; I think you've covered that in this version, though. They *are* useful for dealing with other people, to some extent. Originally my thought was that the thing is not to let the mask get so firmly attached that you can't take it off... But then as I was responding to questions, I noticed that some of my masks would probably actually do me some good if I let them become reality. I think I'll revise my opinion: The thing is not to let your masks suffocate you.

    Questions:

    1. Ooof. The whole list? Um... Maybe I need to add this to my list of questions to think about, because I'm not even sure I can come up with a complete list. One of the most prominent is the mask of confidence. (This is one example of a mask that would do me some good if it became reality.) I think I have had a mask of knowledge and experience to some extent, which is currently being torn down (in the areas where it's a mask and not actual reality, I mean). There's a mask of calm and balance that I try to maintain, and that one hurts when it fails. A mask of friendliness I use when dealing with people I dislike. A mask of not-caring I try to put on when I screw up, or when someone hurts me--that's another big one. There are also a lot of masks that are more "hats", roles I play and try to fit into--moderator, wife, daughter, sister, friend, geek, Pagan, reader, sometimes writer, critiquer... This isn't to say that some aspects of those things aren't true to life, but they are all things I try to fit a certain image of and they are sides of me that get presented to the appropriate people. If that makes sense. Why do I wear them? Some of them because it makes things go smoother in general--a good example there is the friendliness mask. Some of them because it's just natural to deal with different situations by being different pieces of myself--those would mostly be the "hat" masks. I deal differently with people at work than I do with my friends or my husband or my brother. Those same masks, however, can sometimes be influenced by society's expectations about what a perfect (fill in the blank) is. The older and more familiar they are, generally the less society influences them. (Society can frankly take a flying leap if they don't like the way I interact with my parents, for instance.) And then there's the others... The masks I maintain because I'm afraid to be seen as vulnerable and weak. I think those are fairly self-evident in the list above.

    2. The "hat" masks don't usually cause much dissonance at all, I think. One odd exception is the "wife" one--I sometimes, in my more depressive moments, get trapped in thinking what an awful wife I am for not having done this or that. In my more rational moments I realize that Tim seems happy with me anyway, or if he's not it's not a huge problem, just a bump in the road here or there, so I must be doing all right. The mask of friendliness I suppose technically causes dissonance in that it is itself not truth--but it doesn't usually cause any actual problems for me. The others... *sigh* How to express this? I get trapped behind them, I suppose. Start to feel like I can't talk to people about my problems. (Ever noticed how when I really get to be a mess and I'm bawling to you guys about it, I'm also constantly apologizing for bothering you with my problems? I'm even worse offline.) I begin to feel like if I let down those masks, people will think less of me for being so weak and emotional--even if the people in question have given me no reason to think that. And sometimes, I get so caught up in being the strong one, the supportive one, that I feel like I can't ask for support in return because that would be letting someone (usually Tim) down by no longer being "the strong one".

    3. I don't think it's useful to drop most of my masks on a day-to-day basis. Although some of them cause problems, the ones that are also hats I wear (for example) exist for a reason and serve a function. I think they're a natural part of dealing with other people in a variety of situations, and I don't think they're suffocating me or anything. They're almost not so much masks as filters. The problem ones... *sigh* I drop them with great difficulty and under great strain. I don't usually live without them; I hate being vulnerable. So much so that in the past dropping those masks has meant bawling basically the whole time until they go back up. I'm working on that, though; I think here and elsewhere I've started to let them down a little more, a bit at a time. It's still tough, but... I'm working on it. And making progress, I think. I think a month ago some of these answers would have had me in tears, but not so today. I think the key is to get used to letting them down willingly instead of clinging to them until they shatter.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Vieva said…

    I do need to make a difference between hats and masks, I think .. we can't help but be somewhat different people based on who we're with. (f'ex, there's no point in me talking about my writing to some people. That doesn't make it less of who I am OR hurt the friendship in any way .. it's just a recognition that that part isn't prominent with that person).

    and {{{{{{Star}}}}}}} sometimes you're WAY too much like me!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Star said…

    ((((Shad)))) *sighs* Ditto that.

    As for the hats, I dunno--I think that might have been something I got sidetracked on and forgot wasn't really in the essay. You pretty specifically stuck to masks, I think, and like I said, the "hats" are more filters than masks. I think that was a "just Star being weird" thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home